The time now is Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:32 am
View unanswered posts
Fresh Meat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> First Things First
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.L.Ficks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:31 am
Post subject: Fresh Meat

Greetings. Hope I don't reek too much of fresh meat? Feel free to call me names or initiate hazing rites. I am abiding by the rules of the community by posting this introduction post.

Good to meet you all. Glad to meet some fellow freaks and props if you actually read this entire post.

What's the meaning behind your handle?
Pen name and I've never really liked my first name. Nor my last. I've heard ever "fix-it" joke in the book. I like J. L.

Who's your favorite author? Favorite books?
1) Margret Weis/Tracy Hickman
2) J.R.R Tolkien (Sigh, how oh how, did he ever land this name?)
3) C. S. Lewis

1) Dragonlance: (Original Chronicles were unforgettable; character naming, personas and writing was all masterful. Set the bar for me. One criticism: not sure Dragonlance knew where to go after Chronicles, though the Twins trilogy was pretty awesome.)
2) LOTR: (Masterful world design/characters. Style reads a bit slow, but fit the time of its release. Set the original fantasy standard. Gave the movies a lot to pull from.).
3) Timothy Zahn's Star Wars Thrawn trilogy: (In my opinion the 3 best Star Wars novels out there. Takes place 5 years after the events of Return of the Jedi. Thrawn is one of the best villains I have ever read.)
4) David Eddings: (Great character names/world design. Few complaints about Eddings except that perhaps it was slightly less memorable than Dragonlance or LOTR. I can't recall the entire party, but just the most memorable characters.)
5) Forgotten Realms: (Memorable characters, well developed world, good writing style
6) C. S. Lewis: (Narnia. First book was unforgettable. Other books were still good, but far more forgettable. Narnia overall feels like an undercooked fantasy world. In Lewis' defense he wrote the book for a relative and never originally intended on publishing Narnia. I love Lewis for some of his non-fantasy books though.
7) George R. R. Martin: (Extremely strong writing style. He intimidated me in many places, but books feel like plot turns are made by the shaking of an Eight Ball.)
8) Steven Erikson: (Grandest cultural scope I've ever read, but some of the worst names in fantasy history. Sorry, I'm something of a stickler for names. Here's my good name list to be positive: Anomander Rake, Cauldon Brood, Durjek Onearm, Coltaine. Coltaine, I will never forget Coltaine's march in Deadhouse Gates.)
9) Robert Jordan: (Well developed world/pretty good characters/huge vision. Wheel of Time is an awesome series name. I guess I don't remember the characters with the same fondness as some of other series. I eventually lost excitement and stopped reading. Books feel very over-cooked with entire chapters that could have been cut.)
10) J. L. Ficks/J. E. Dugue: The Chronicles of Covent (unreleased). We wouldn't write if we didn't feel we had potential. Feedback from our support base has been as follows: Extremely strong visual writing style, memorable characters/world, Tolkienesque quality names. Enough. I don't want to be accused of advertising. Criticism: Tendancy to over-explain on occasion (hence this post), some scenes are overcooked (hence this post), a few stories are slower starters (again, this post). And of course, these BLANKETY BLANK BLANK word monkeys have yet to prove themselves! HOW DARE THEY INCLUDE THEMSELVES ON A TOP 10 LIST!!!

What TV shows do you never miss?
Burn Notice

What do you do when you aren't reading fantasy books?
Catastrophe Adjuster: I pay out millions for storm damages. It's fun.

Chocolate or vanilla?
Chocolate candy/vanilla ice cream. Blizzards rule.

Do you type with all fingers on the keyboard?
Yep

What is under your bed?
Winter clothes. I'm a northerner living in the south now and the bed underside is surprisingly difficult to access. Dust bunnies. Wanted bodily discharges. I hope nothing dead or hungry is lurking under there.

If you could build a house anywhere, where would it be?
Ocean coast/mountaintop if that were possible.

What's your favorite food (if you have any good recipes, share them in the Yummy in my Tummy forum!)?
Cook food. Eat it. I don't stop long enough to think about recipes or what I'm shoveling into my mouth. Is that bad?

Do you have any children?
One son: Eighteen months old. He rocks. Twenty five pounds of fighting fury!

What do you want to be when you grow up?
I am grown up. More grown up: an author.

If you had $1000 and had to spend it all frivolously on yourself, what would you buy?
Artwork for my novels.

What's your favorite color?
Silver

What book should we all read?
Ours. One day. Until then check out my very detailed top 10 list above.
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:47 am
Post subject:

You listed your own work as one of your favorites? And they call me a fluffy bird. Welcome to the forum, by the by.
J.L.Ficks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:30 pm
Post subject:

Why thank you, fluffy bird! I couldn't think of a 10th off the top of my head and I'm not too crazy about Terry Goodkind, so I made my own list for now. In my defense I did write myself a rather scathing review and spewed forth quite the formal rebuke.
Vilya

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:36 am
Post subject:

Couldn't agree with you more on the Dragonlance Chronicles. I read the first three twice, and then the Twins book three times a piece. I have to admit that I was too chicken to read the Fourth that they came out with. I didn't know how it would make me feel for it to end differently than it did. Guess that I have been holding onto that feeling for too long.

And I am glad that someone else sees the Chronicles of Narnia for what they are. They story itself is what makes it beautiful. The writing isn't that good (and like you I have read other things by him and find that he can write well). I wish that he had fledged things out better, but then the bigger picture and metaphor may have been lost.

In any case, glad to meet you.
J.L.Ficks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:24 pm
Post subject:

Glad to meet you to Vilya. You strike me as a reader of intelligence. You have any fantasy books you recommend that aren't on my list?

Regarding the fourth, I assume you mean Dragons of Summer Flame. Your instincts serve you well. Colossal disappointment at the end of that one. I was so mad. Every Dragonlance fan I know who read that book hated the ending as well. That book started out right in some places with Kitara and Tassleholf if I remember correctly, but I also had trouble getting into the whole second generation thing. I think I would have been ok with the book at the end had it not been for the end if you catch my drift. Anyway, I've said too much. Nice to meet you again.
Vilya

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:42 am
Post subject:

Yes I meant Dragons of Summer Flame. And given what you said, then I am glad that I didn't read it. Have to admit I am a little bit of a Raistlin fan.

Right now I am really into the Inheritance Cycle, but Christopher Paolini. If you watched the movie I am sorry, but it didn't do the book an ounce of justice. In fact it was so bad that all I could do was feel sorry for Paolini. Part of the fun of these books is to watch him grow as an author, and I especially like the magic system that he developed. I have read them multiple times a piece. I admit that the first book isn't the best that I have read, but the story gets so much more interesting as the books progress. Their are moments that I cried. So that would my suggestion.
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:48 am
Post subject:

I was not disappointment with Dragons of Summer F;lame...... I think it ended perfectly. Now understand Tass (and Raistlin was as well) was my most favorite character, the ending with his sacrifice was sad sure but it was expected with the way Tass grew out of being the normal kender. (with the help of Flint and Tanis....... and the death of Sturm as well) It also created the story opening for Takhisis to steal Krynn from the other gods which has always been her goal. The War of Souls series was fantastic in the fact that you started off hating everything about it..... (one moon, limited magic, Takhisis knights more respected then solomnics, monstrous dragon overlords)
There seemed to be nothing in it that resembled anything true Dragonlance fans fell in love with since the start...... but then Tas jumps in and starts the events that bring everything back.

I personally think that too many fans tried to hard to find everything wrong and not look deeper to see that what was still there and to enjoy the ride as they attempt to bring it back out.

That said, no-matter where the series goes, there will never be the initial greatness that was The Companions of the Lance but this series still has so much more going for it then alot of the other drivel on the marketplace. And I really love Mina (Goldmoon did too)

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
J.L.Ficks

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:16 pm
Post subject:

Well said ThrillKillBill,

You've convinced me to give the War of Souls trilogy a look. Dragons of Summer Flame was the last Dragonlance book I read and that was over a decade ago. I was younger then and I think I, like many other fans, was angry over the one moon and the loss of magic. I also got the impression that was the last book and that's how they left the series.

I reread Chronciles & Twins trilogy about 5 years ago, but haven't take a look at any Dragonlance novels since. Again, I believe they set the bar I strive for so perhaps it would be refreshing to enjoy the War of Souls trilogy. I still believe Weis & Hickman are the best to fantasy writers out there. Admittedly, I've been getting really bored with Steven Erikson's 3rd book as of late. Does anyone know if this series picks up? I 60% enjoyed the first two books, but am struggling with the 3rd.
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:48 pm
Post subject:

defiantly try the war of souls trilogy..... it is worth it. By no means is it the same as the original Chronicles but it redeems the series. The loss of magic, the one moon, everything is explained and the ending........ well whether you hate it or not, the ending is very powerful.

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
High Wizard of Silvinesh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:52 pm
Post subject:

Hello there :)

I agree, Weis and Hickman rock! I think, when I finally have some time, I may go back and read the first two trilogies as well, I have them tucked away somewhere, just need to find the right box!
Vilya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:00 pm
Post subject:

All right I guess that I will give it a go (Dragons of Summer Flame). Though I have to admit that I am all about the Raistlin. If that isn't done well, then I won't enjoy it. Given that, does anyone still recommend that I read it?
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:53 pm
Post subject:

Never count Raistlin out..... he defeated all the gods to become all-powerful (all destructive), he chose to exile himself to the Abyss instead. He tricked Dalamar and the tower wizards into making it possible for his nephew Palin to free him from the Abyss without him having to destroy all the gods......

Never count Raistlin completely out of the game *wink*

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Vilya

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:19 pm
Post subject:

Well if Raist gets out then I am all about it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> First Things First All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: