The time now is Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:57 am
View unanswered posts
Book Club - August 2010 Nomination Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:21 am
Post subject: Book Club - August 2010 Nomination Thread

Let's get that book club thing rolling again since people have been talking about it. Nominate now to read a book club book in August!

This thread will be open for nominations up to Thursday, July 15th (trying the middle of the week to give us two weeks). You can nominate books by replying to this message, or by PM to the Book Club Coordinator (Lannie) who will add them here for you. I will be away for a 7 day period in the middle of the nom period, so if you PM me, don't stress if your book isn't listed right away. I promise I will post it as soon as I get back.

The book must be available in mass market paperback in both the US and the UK. Please include title, author, price and a bit of a blurb in your post or PM (you can look at previous nomination threads if you don't know what I mean). If you don't have time to look up the information or aren't sure what to include, you can just PM me the title/author and I'll find out for you.

Voting will then be open for one week (until July 22) and then people will have lots of time to find the book before August 1.
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:45 pm
Post subject:

The warrior Heir was a pretty sweet read, it dragged me into the rest of the series...like a jerk. Although I can't tell if it's avail in the UK, those crazy people =D

That or On the Shoulders of Giants (mwahaha)

EDIT:
Of course high wizard man offered to let us read his book too, buuuuuut....I forgot the title. I think it's High Wizard of Silvinesh =0

Post EDIT:
OMG this dude looks like high wizards profile pic!
High Wizard of Silvinesh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:32 pm
Post subject:

You found me out, that dude is this dude :)

My first novel is The High Wizard of Silvinesh. (the one I am offering for review)
I just released my second novel, Cold Winter's Magic (June 16th, 2010)

I'll throw out the offer once again, for those who are in the book club and are willing to help with my novel's review. Every member who eneters will recieve a copy. If it is incredibly expensive to ship to someone who lives really far away, I'll send them a free Amazon Gift Card to download a Kindle copy onto their PC. Application is free and pretty easy for those who have yet to try it out.

Let me know, it is ultimately up to the group to decide. I'll keep checking the site to see if my novel is selected, if not this month, could always be another. I'd even be willing to join in and maybe give some insight into the story, but still won't let any spoilers slip by ;)

Okay, Fantasy Freaks, have at it . . .
runetracey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:10 am
Post subject:

I'll wait and see what comes up, as I may not be one that reads the same as others :lol:
Lannie
Colonel Chatterbox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:58 am
Post subject:

And your nominees are.........

Title: <i>The Warrior Heir </i> (Heir Chronicles, Book 1)
Author: Cinda Williams Chima

Price: $8.99 /£6.02
Pages: 448

Description: An apparently ordinary 16-year-old boy turns out to have magical powers that make him a target of a covert society of wizards, enchanters, and warriors called the Weir. Jack's small-town world in Ohio begins to unravel when he starts to unleash unintentional bursts of wizardry. When he recovers a powerful sword from an ancestor's grave, he begins to realize how different he really is. A battle with a wizard and some magic-laced conflicts at his high school keep the pages turning while the truth about Jack's destiny slowly emerges. The scene switches to Great Britain, where he learns that he must participate in a duel to the death against a mysterious opponent. Many details about the Weir are initially hidden from readers, as well as from Jack, so the gradual revelations about the society are involving and often surprising. Jack makes a fairly convincing hero. He is disbelieving at first and reluctant throughout, but ultimately finds a way to utilize his new powers without sacrificing his honor or basic decency. An appealing mixture of supporting characters includes relatives with various magical abilities, a couple of nonmagical but loyal friends, and an engaging assortment of villains.

Title: <i>On the Shoulders of Giants </i> :)
Author: Stephen Hawking

Price: $8.37 /£11.49
Pages: 1200

Description: Acclaimed physicist Hawking has collected in this single illuminating volume the classic works of physics and astronomy that in their day revolutionized humankind's perception of the world. Included are Copernicus's On the Revolution of Heavenly Spheres, Galileo's Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences, Kepler's "Harmony of the World," Newton's The Principia and selections from The Principle of Relativity by Einstein. Taken together, these writings document the evolution of our conception of the universe from a pre-Copernican cosmos with a stationary earth at its center to one in which the very weave of time and space are relative. The editor's ability to step back and view the sweep of his subject was first showcased in his bestselling A Brief History of Time and confirmed in his The Universe in a Nutshell. In an essay introducing each work here, he gives a short and sweet biography of its author and an explanation of its significance, as well as the occasional gem, like Galileo's handwritten renunciation of his beliefs before the Inquisition. To read the works themselves is to feel the thrill and mystery of intimacy with oft-cited source documents. Despite the volume's heftiness, Hawking has given these works a setting that is elegantly simple and, in its simplicity, effectively broadening.

Title: <i>The High Wizard of Silvinesh </i> (Book 1)
Author: R.A. Scully

Price: $24.99 /£not available new - but The High Wizard has offered to provide the members who review the book with copies.
Pages: 512

Description: It is a time of darkness . . . only days remain before a deadly war is set to begin, between the minions of the Ever-Night Realm and the White Wizards of Silvinesh. An ancient message is found that gives the elvin heroes a glimmer of hope, and with it, they take a chance, and seek out a lost power, hidden, somewhere within Crystal Mountains. After narrowly escaping with their lives, the heroes return to Thelentia on the eve of battle, to aid their human allies against the deadly dark elvin threat. Journey with the brave group of friends and family, as they unravel the mysteries of the past, and find a way to save the world they love.

Title: <i>Unholy Ghosts </i> (Downside Ghosts Book 1)
Author: Stacia Kane

Price: $7.70 /£4.64
Pages: 352

Description: Murderous spirits and ruthless drug dealers combine to create serious problems for fiercely independent heroine, Chess, in these fast-paced, sexy and addictive novels – fitting for a witch with a serious drug problem.

The world is not the way it was. The dead have risen and constantly attack the living. The powerful Church of Real Truth, in charge since the government fell, has sworn to reimburse citizens being harassed by the deceased. Consequently, there are many false claims of hauntings from those hoping to profit.

Enter Chess Putnam, a fully-tattooed witch and freewheeling Debunker and ghost hunter. She's got a real talent for nailing the human liars or banishing the wicked dead. But she's keeping a dark secret from the Church: a little drug problem that's landed her in hot and dangerous water.

Chess owes a murderous drug lord named Bump a lot of money. And Bump wants immediate payback. All Chess has to do is dispatch a very nasty species of undead from an old airport. But the job involves black magic, human sacrifice, a nefarious demonic creature, and crossing swords with enough wicked energy to wipe out a city of souls. Toss in lust with a rival gang leader and a dangerous attraction to Bump's ruthless enforcer, and Chess begins to wonder if the rush is really worth it. Hell, yeah.

Title: <i>The Poison Throne </i> (Moorehawke Trilogy Book 1)
Author: Celine Kiernan

Price: $10.19 /£5.99
Pages: 512

Description: Young Wynter Moorehawke returns to court with her dying father. But her old home is cloaked in fear. Once benevolent King Jonathon is now a violent despot, terrorising his people while his son Alberon plots a coup from exile. Then darkness spreads as the King appoints Alberon's half-brother Razi as heir. Wynter must watch her friend obey his father's untenable commands, as those they love are held to ransom. And at the heart of matters lies a war machine so lethal that none dare speak of it. The kingdom would belong to its master, yet the consequences of using it are too dire to consider. But temptation has ever been the enemy of reason.

Title: <i>The Stepsister Scheme </i> (Princess Novels Book 1)
Author: Jim C. Hines

Price: $7.99 /£4.84
Pages: 352

Description: What would happen if an author went back to the darker themes of the original fairy tales for his plots, and then crossed the Disney princesses with Charlie’s Angels? What’s delivered is The Stepsister Scheme—a whole new take on what happened to Cinderella and her prince after the wedding. And with Jim C. Hines penning the tale readers can bet it won’t be “and they lived happily ever after.”

...Cinderella has married, but her handsome Prince Charming is kidnapped away. Enter Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, the Evil Stepsisters, and a lot of other cliche Fairy Tale characters - and take out the cliches. ....Sleeping Beauty is an assassin, Snow White is a mirror mage, and the Seven Dwarves are far from the happy miners of legend. It all wraps up very neatly, perilous escapes and all, and I look forward to the next book in the series. If you want light [but not silly] fantasy, look no further.

Noms still open until July 15, until the PST time where I feel like posting the poll and going to bed!! *g*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: