The time now is Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:23 am
View unanswered posts
Alfrado-y sauce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:57 pm
Post subject: Alfrado-y sauce

I recently took up cooking again and decided it was time for me to learn to make a white sauce for noodles, since I've been doing tomato-based for years and years!

While I don't have specific measurements at this moment, (I'll try to measure next time) this morning I made some reaaaally good stuff out of :

Heavy whipping cream
sour cream
butter
kosher salt
1/2 clove of garlic
~1/8 cup of fresh grated parmesan cheese

and I threw some shrimp in to cook for the last bit
* once the noodles were cooked al dente, I also threw in about 1/8 cup of the water into the sauce to thin it up, and get some starch in the sauce so it sticks to the noodles.

I fully intend on following up this recipe to make it better, and I'll post measurements as soon as I get some, but I wanted input from you experienced lovely people - anybody have good recipes for white sauce? Mushroom, parmesan or garlic, they all rock
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:20 pm
Post subject:

omg, i love some good homemade white sauce. I just make a very basic one with milk and flour and butter and salt and pepper and then add grated/shredded cheese of whatever kind if I want it cheesey. But I don't make it very often because it takes so much attention! I hate the stirring and stirring and stirring so my milk won't scald!

I can't even imagine making it with heavy cream AND sour cream. My innards would rebel at all that richness. But I do throw in mushrooms now and then. And I'm sure adding garlic would be lovely, but my family always says I use too much garlic when I cook with it. I love garlic. *salivates* (on a side note - I hate it when my husband makes the chili. He never puts in enough garlic and he adds jalapenos, which ruin it for me because I can't taste anything if it's too spicy.)
connor
the thief catcher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:23 pm
Post subject:

julie, julie, julie, theres never too many jalepanoes. Have you not saw the subway advert? And my mam makes a fantastic white sauce which we have with penne, I'll get the recipe for you guys tomorrow
Dudde

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:36 pm
Post subject:

Sweet! You should totally get it Connor!

I used to get that complaint too Julie, I happen to love garlic, but I also love jalapenos...aw, yes the food of life.

I discovered that I use roughly 1 tbsp of sour cream and 1/2 tbsp of butter when using about 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream - I'm going to experiment with using only two of those ingredients this weekend though, so I'm not ready to post an official recipe !
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:23 am
Post subject:

You can eat Jalepenos with anything. *munches on her favorite midnight snack, Jalepenos*

On another note, I'm not too fond of white sauce myself. I'm a tomatoe type of raven(and the goblins out back are tomatoe lovers too, so I never find the need to make white sauce).
Dudde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:00 pm
Post subject:

by the way, I've been making this successfully for quite some time, I guess I forgot to post up here!

Usually I saute about 2 cloves of garlic in some olive oil (with a few green onions if I got em) until brown, then pour in some heavy whipping cream - no specfic amount, about 2/3 of the sauce amount you want, and then then about 1/3 I use skim milk to finish out.

after that, some cracked black pepper, some parmesan (not canned, but a block grated) and let it get hot!

It literally takes like 3 minutes, the noodles should be almost done by the time I start making it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Yummy in my Tummy All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: