The time now is Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:13 pm
View unanswered posts
Vick

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaytheredwizard

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:42 pm
Post subject: Vick

For those of you who have noticed and cared (well maybe not...) Michael Vick has been accused of Dogfighting and numerous other similar crimes. I turned on Sportscenter on ESPN when I got in from work today, and noticed that they were discussing how different people were viewing the case. Some people believe that he is guilty and should go directly to jail while others are angry at the commissioner for suspending Vick before due process. There are several other viewpoints as well, but some are hardly worth mentioning. I was wondering what everyone here thought.

My personal opinion is that he should be suspended with reduced pay until his legal difficulties are settled. I don't believe that you can have him on or near a field without this becoming an issue. The issue would only detract from a game that most of us watch to escape from the daily grind. That makes it unfair to both the fans and the players.

I also have a problem with the people who want to dust this under the table. I work with one of them. Every time he says something about this I just stare at him and wonder does he really think or are the words just random noises he accidentally produces when he breathes. I hesitate to write any for fear of not being believed.

Also, feel free to include any opinions about why everyone is so divided on this issue.
julie
Wicked Wisdom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:06 am
Post subject:

Who the heck is Michael Vick? If he's been dogfighting and 'similar crimes', he should be severely beaten and shoved into a metal cage and left to rot.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:51 am
Post subject:

I don't know anything about this. At the gym they have the TVs set on mute, so I've seen a lot of press confrences with this guy, but not heard a word about it.

It sounds like the issue is that some people think he's being punished before the trial. Many, many sectors of employment suspend employees before they are proven guilty in a court of law. Police officers, teachers, fire fighters. . . a sniff of trouble comes up and you are suspended until the wind clears.

I can only guess that those who think it is unfair are either rabid fans of this guy's team and don't want to see them lose or don't see anything wrong with dogfighting.

For the record, I stand with Julie on the punishments that should be meted out to this guy. Dog fighting is a pointless, needless, cruel crime.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:28 pm
Post subject:

The whole thing is a bloody farce. There really is a double-standard with regards to star athletes in this country, who are as much celebrities as Hollywood or television stars. They get special treatment every step of the way, from being able to skip classes and receiving lenient grading at the college level, to violating the law in a myriad of violent ways (assault, battery, disorderly conduct, etc.) at the professional level and receiving only slaps on the wrists as punishment. To a guy who is making $800,000 a year in total salary (to say nothing of endorsement deals and so on), a $10,000 fine is a drop in the bucket, and a one- or two-game suspension matters little except for trying to break records. Michael Vick made $8,401,980 in 2006.

Fans coddle them. Teams coddle them. They're coddled and pampered from the moment they first laced up their shoes on a college scholarship. They can, in the eyes of the fans and supporters, pretty much do no wrong. They live in a world that is entirely separate from real life; a world of lavish parties, adoring fans, multimillion dollar contracts and massive product endorsement deals. What are rules and laws, in the face of that? It's the exact same mindset that nets Paris Hilton special treatment in the penal system.

Athletes are heroes, in spite of any dubious legal troubles they may have. This is why people want to shove it under the table. Michael Vick fights dogs? Who cares? What we care about is that he's healthy and consistent and gets the Falcons into the playoffs! Ray Lewis is an accessory to the murder of two people? Who cares? He's the most inimidating linebacker in the league! (I actually went through that last conversation verbatim with a Ray Lewis fan, who basically excoriated me for not liking the man because he got off virtually scot-free; how could I not like him, they said, he's the best linebacker in the NFL!?)

The criminal rap sheet for your typical NFL or NBA team is pages long. And yet these guys get to slide by, get to keep playing even after serious crimes (unless, I guess, you don't think repeated DUI and accompanying parole violations are serious). It also goes without saying that they are able to afford high-level defense teams. What really ticks me off about the Vick case is not the crime itself (as bad as it was, and I think dogfighting is cruel and deserves punishment) but how much of a big deal the media is making of it, when it's widely known by football fans (such as myself) how much criminal crap goes on in the league in any given year. This kind of thing goes on all the time, but it's like the media has suddenly discovered that *gasp!* football players are abusing dogs! and all hell breaks loose.

Dogs being generally more highly regarded in American society than, you know, human beings, if an NFL player beats his wife, you'll hear nary a word in the press about it, but if, God forbid, he has dogs fight, suddenly he's the image of Satan Incarnate. It's a travesty. There was, for example, a huge outrage in Kansas last year over the (admittedly vicious) torture and killing of two puppies, which led to a change in the laws making all animal cruelty crimes an automatic felony. And yet, domestic violence is still a misdemeanor if there is no prior offense. Likewise, there is always shock and horror when someone leaves a poor little doggie in a hot car during the summer and the dog dies, leading to more changes in the law, yet the same thing happens to children every year and while it generates some temporary outrage, it never has a lasting impact.

What Michael Vick did was sick, and if convicted he deserves, quite frankly, to suffer the consequences of being banned from the sport and losing his magnificent salary (I think all players convicted of violent crimes should be banned from playing for life), in addition to whatever other fines or imprisonment are appropriate. But it's no worse than what dozens of other NFL players will likely do this year, on and off the field. Things that likely will garner little or no media attention, for whatever reason.

Americans really have their priorities straight, don't they?

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Chinaren

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:22 am
Post subject:

Was the dogfighting unlicensed or something? Or were his dogs drugged? I hate it when that happens, how can I place fair bets when there's all this doping? That c ocker spaniel last week should never have won. I'm going back to live fist-fighting, it's so much more reliable.

Anyway, is there anything in his contract about this? If it states in his employment contract that if he's arrested then he will lose his job or whatnot, then that's what should happen.

If the long farce of the law bangs him up and he can't come to work, then the appropriate contractual procedures should be followed.

Otherwise, what does it have to do with his job?
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:15 pm
Post subject:

Organizing a dog fight anywhere in the country is currently a federal felony if it involves the transport of animals across state lines for the purpose, after implementation of the Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act of 2007.

Now, I may think that is eight kinds of ridiculous on many levels (I stand by my above year-old comments about domestic violence and skewed legal priorities), but it is the law, and the NFL has personal conduct rules that allow it to summarily fine or suspend personnel who engage in criminal activity or other mischief either on or off the playing field. These rules are league-wide and are in force regardless of individual contracts.

After Vick pled guilty, the NFL suspended him indefinitely without pay, which it is entitlted to do under current League rules. If I am not mistaken, criminal activity in itself is considered an automatic breach of contract under League rules. By pleading guilty, he broke his contract.

I really don't have any sympathy for him or any other pampered, rich athlete who breaks the law. I especially don't have sympathy for fans who bitch and moan about the NFL suspending their star player when he fraks up off the field. I've heard enough lamentations from Falcons fans to make me tear my ears off. It hurts your team's chances? Too bad. Your star player should have thought of that before he drove drunk/shot someone/beat his wife/bought drugs/got involved in an interstate dogfighting ring. Frankly, I think professional football would be better off if the NFL summarily banned for life any player convicted of a violent crime.

And mind you, I'm a full supporter of drug decriminalization and I think federal animal fighting laws are a slap in the face of federalism. Nevertheless, he did the crime, and he's doing the time, and the fans can whine, but if he never plays another day of professional football, I won't shed a single tear.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Post subject:

He killed doggies thats all that matters. Get a rope.
Lady charleen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:00 pm
Post subject:

Here here rhodric but instead of a rope we should lock him in a cage and make him have fights to the deaths with other sick sobs that are a waste of tax payers money!!!!!
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:10 pm
Post subject:

*cough* this is a year old dead thread resurrected by a spam-bot *cough*

*wink*

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:29 pm
Post subject:

lol
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:35 am
Post subject:

People who dog fight(or force any animal to fight) ought to be thrown into cages and made to fight eachother for survival. That's what us Ravens do to those caught butterfly fighting. Capital offense that is.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:02 am
Post subject:

Wow...seeing some good ol' necromancy here! Yay!

ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:23 am
Post subject:

So Luna, is your butterfly ready or not? Not that it matters....... no butterfly you raise could ever defeat my champion. >.<

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:18 am
Post subject:

I've got 10 crowns (Andoran weight) on Luna's butterfly chump.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: