The time now is Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:08 pm
View unanswered posts
The War!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silverstone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:36 am
Post subject: The War!!!

Im in the army and currently deployed(sucks!). I recently went home on leave and i noticed that people just dont seem to care anymore. Right or Wrong we are still very much at war and it just seems like America as a nation is just tired of it. To me thats worse than anything. I dont understand how people can be so indiffernt when we still have kids dying out here. I say kids because alot of us are between 18 and 25. Its just scary that anybody could ever get complacent about that.

So anyway.....Any thoughts?
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:48 am
Post subject:

I'm not one of the complacent about either of the conflicts that the US is still tied up in, but I can understand how Joe Average might be so, since we get so little imagery from the MSM, who basically just gives us a numbers game, and recently less and less of even that. According to our media establishment, the death of a pop star and a bunch of Congressmen beating each other over the head with a health care bill is much more important than people dying overseas. I think the government and, by extension, the media, are doing everything they can to quell and quiet info about our war status, because it's politically advantageous to do so right now. Plus, if we start asking questions again, we might be reminded that Iraq is still a money hole in the private contractor sense.

In your view, or in the view of the folks you're stationed with, has that gotten any better, or are the contractors still parading around Iraq with the military equivalent of Escalades and gold chains, while y'all are still driving Yugos? Or have they been driven out to the point where the money is actually going to the US military again?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Silverstone

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:54 pm
Post subject:

Private contracting is definitly were the money's at. Alot of us are not re-enlisting because we want those contracter spot, but the problem is is that most of those jobs have now been filled and these guys seem happy to ride out the money train till the conflict is over.
Xinpheld actuallytouced on what really pisses meoff about the media. A HEAVILY suspected child molester dies and its on every single channel for weeks and the whole world mourns but if a bus full of soldiers blew up tommorow it might catch a passing mention on CNN and nobody but family and freinds would care. Plain wrong.
Patrick
Sleepless Sonneteer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:50 pm
Post subject:

Hell. Honestly? The reason people are complacent is basically because, as a whole, the American attention span and concern for events outside one's own life and narrow interests are abysmal. More people vote on American Idol than vote for president. More people watched Michael Jackson's funeral than the funeral of any world leader who died (Pope John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, Itzhak Rabin...). The vast majority of Americans receive their news on politics and international events through scant five minute (or less) stories on the major networks' nightly broadcasts, if they even bother with news at all; I know many people who only watch the news for celebrity gossip.

I think a big part of it is that most Americans don't have an emotional connection to the war. I'm a news junkie and information whore and so I follow everything very religiously, but besides that, I have one cousin who served a tour in Iraq in the Marines, another cousin who was inducted into the Army last week, and a good friend who's done two tours in Iraq and is finally getting out of the Army next month. For many people who don't know anyone who is serving or has served in the war, though...well, they just don't get it, and they just don't care.

Our national culture has become celebrity-obsessed, special-effects-addicted, and has the collective attention span of a lobotomized rock. Obama was a huge deal during the election...now most people I know could care less about listening to news about his administration; they get bored within thirty seconds.

On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil!
wentzizzle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 pm
Post subject:

I don't mind the inattention...I find it rather uncomfortable when a complete stranger thanks me for my service or whatnot...and to tell you the truth look at alot of the soldiers, it's just not your average American citizen who doesnt care anymore, most soldiers stopped careing also..at least thats the way it seems in my unit...when something bad happens most of us just shrug it off and say at least it's not me.....insensitive maybe but the truth nonetheless...it's just a job that needs to be done....
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:23 pm
Post subject:

True, but soldiers that are actually IN Iraq fighting have a little more leeway to try to shrug that off, whereas if I caught a banker or someone at MY job saying, I'd probably give them hell about it. Attention span or no, even if you don't believe in what the war is about, I definitely make sure armed service men and women are respected in conversations around me =D

any less than at least respectful is ridiculous and will be met with full force ;D
The Exile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:34 pm
Post subject:

Quote:
True, but soldiers that are actually IN Iraq fighting have a little more leeway to try to shrug that off, whereas if I caught a banker or someone at MY job saying, I'd probably give them hell about it. Attention span or no, even if you don't believe in what the war is about, I definitely make sure armed service men and women are respected in conversations around me =D

any less than at least respectful is ridiculous and will be met with full force ;D

AMEN!

I might not support the reason we are fighting, but I support our Military. EVERY single time I find out somebody served in our armed forces, I shake their hand and thank them. They deserve our respect.

My best friend is shipping out MONDAY for what he thinks will be a YEAR deployment in Iraq, for his second tour. Now I think it is a load of Bull that they are sending more troops over there. I'm not complacent, I'm sickened.

Basically, the rest of my thoughts have been said by others better than I can so...

"Older men declare war. But it is youth that must fight and die. And it is youth who must inherit the tribulation, the sorrow and the triumphs that are the aftermath of war."
~Herbert Hoover

If that's true, then...

"I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in."
~George McGovern
Caryla
Lily in Winter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:15 am
Post subject:

While I personally think that we should pull out and if their economy and govt collapses, so be it, I still also support the TROOPS that are over seas or will be shipped overseas. I follow the US Forces page on facebook and on Twitter so that I can get the news from them... Not just "7 soldiers were blown up" but also "Soldiers support an orphanage" and "Medical center opens for a day for free examinations of a nearby town." The good and the bad. The US Military is using social networking sites to try and improve the goodwill of the people of US, and to remind us "Hey, we're still here. Don't forget us. What happened to all the support we had? Where did it go?" Soldiers are just men (and women!) following orders, it's not their fault they are there. A close friend of mine was just honorably discharged a couple months ago, after two tours in Iraq, and another is planning on joining soon.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Xinpheld
Bird Man of Alka-Seltzer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:29 am
Post subject:

Caryla wrote:
"Hey, we're still here. Don't forget us. What happened to all the support we had? Where did it go?"

I remember, very early on in the Second Iraq War, there was a guy in our town whose car was literally riddled with 50+ yellow ribbon magnets and flags, covered car-head to car-toe in them. These days, you're hard pressed to spot one at all. I find myself wondering about the day that man took off all those magnets, how he justified taking of that show of support, and whether all those magnets are in a box in his house or taking up space in a landfill. Such is the hollow support of the fervent. Most voices of 'support' died out in the political winds.

Our family has been quietly supportive, mainly via USO material collections for the troops through our son's Boy Scout troop, in the form of books, sunscreen, and the oh so important lip balm, and such things as these. Our troop support really started in October of 2002, when we participated in a 100,000+ march on Washington to try and voice protest against the idea of starting the war in the first place (not that I any longer think that protest marches are in any way effective in the US anymore).

Unfortunately, now that our military is there, I can't support a full on abandonment of the country, mainly because of the 'you broke it, you bought it' philosophy. We broke Iraq in 2003, we broke it in 1991, we broke it in the 80's with Iran-Contra, we broke it in the 70's by supporting Saddam against Iran. The whole region has been broken over and over again by both infighting and invasion by various parties. There will be no end to strife in the region until the oil is gone and religion tamed or abolished. Then the whole area will return to the desert and all will be at peace again. Right. Surely, we can bring peace now to an area that's been at war for literally millennia. </rant>

Anyway, we'll need to be there until we can stack the house of cards well enough that it'll stay standing long enough so that our government can deny responsibility when it collapses again. I just hope that we can minimize our losses - a.k.a. keep troops alive - until the job is 'done'.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LunaRaven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:56 am
Post subject:

*clears throat*

WAR! UUH! What is it good for? Absolutely nothin', say it again! WAR! UUH! Good God, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin', listen to me!
GanZ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 am
Post subject:

The BBC is quite good for coverage on our British soldiers, If one should unfortunately be killed in action then it is always mentioned and even though I personally believe Britain shouldn't really be at war, I am still going to join the Royal Engineers after l university but that is more due to the current financial climate, rather than any real patriotic reasons.
Hachiko
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:54 am
Post subject:

Well, it was fun for the media outlets to shove the war down the publics' throat until last year, since it was the simplest anti-Bush strategy they could market.
Now, after the 2nd Coming of Jesus, Barack Obama is in office, everything was supposed to be magically over with and our troops would be back home! But, Obama can't bring them home, as there are no jobs for them here, and it'll be a P.R. nightmare to have troops who served go homeless now. And so the evil cycle perpetuates itself.

Silverstone, I'm sorry about any apathetic reception any of our troops get back home. Please believe there are plenty of us with nothing but respect and admiration for you all, for perservering under hellish climates and environments. Cheers to you all!
Prusillus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:51 pm
Post subject:

I've been following the efforts of IAVA (Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America) in raising awareness of homebound soldiers, and it's very disconcerting...their initial goal of 111,000 free online pledges fell way short, embarrassingly. That's what I've linked to up there, swing on through, it takes a sec and it's cheap (read:free).

And SilverStone, thanks for your service and sacrifice. You're a better patriot than I.
Window Bar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:01 pm
Post subject: War

In the days right after 9/11, polls were taken in several Muslim lands about what had happened. Two answers, when added together, formed the majority:

1) It was a good thing.
2) The whole incident was fabricated by the U.S. Gov.

What I'm getting at is that this isn't a battle that can be won with soldiers.

There may be times in history when the Eye-for-an-Eye strategy is the best. Within three months after 9/11, the U.S. (with a few allies) deployed troops and kicked the Taliban's ass. Had we left then, rather than ramping up in Iraq and hanging on in Afghanistan, we would have been seen (both at home and abroad) as victors. Now, unfortunately, unless those countries can be made to resemble Mr. Rodger's Neighborhood by our moment of departure, we will be viewed as defeated.

This is a long way of saying Americans don't easily support something that can only end badly.

And yes, that is terribly unfair to those who sacrifice home, jobs, family, comfort, health ... and sometimes life itself. I apologize for having been apathetic, and I will definitely take some kind of action on behalf of those who have gone over there to serve.
Prusillus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:16 pm
Post subject:

Does anyone have any reliable information on a secret-Santa program or something like that for troops? Thanks.
Caleyna
Queen of Silliness

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:39 pm
Post subject:

You can send cards to a program through the Red Cross. They must be postmarked by Dec. 7.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/christmas/soldiercards.asp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> Hot Hot Hot All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: