The time now is Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 pm
View unanswered posts
Left 4 Dead 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Games We Play
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:35 am
Post subject: Left 4 Dead 2

I wrote up a quick review of this game for our team news letter at work. If you find it interesting I say download the demo. There is also a ton of other reviews on this game that go much more in depth. The favorite thing i read about this game was when someone said it "succeeded in coaxing that big bag of posterior fundamental orifices we call the internet into cooperating"

My other favorite is from the comercial

"You and three friends vs 10 million zombies...they're gunna need more Zombies"

Valve, creators of the Half Life games, has released Left 4 Dead 2; a follow-up to last year’s Survival Horror Shooter (And 2008 game of the year). The Infected are still out there and they have brought reinforcements. For those of you not familiar with Left 4 Dead, it is set during a Viral Pandemic which has transformed most of humanity into raging lunatics that want nothing more than to cave your head in. Very similar to 28 Days Later. The point of the game is for you and three friends (or random people from the interwebs), also know as ‘the survivors’, to navigate through a city, forest, swap, or whatever environment from point A to point B in order to be rescued by a helicopter, boat, etc. The original Left 4 Dead was praised for its AI Director, a procedural system that controlled dynamic difficulty, number and type of Infected, item placement, and in game music dependant upon a player’s skill. The AI Director has been upgraded to 2.0 and now it also controls weather, map layout and lighting. Where all of the campaigns in Left 4 Dead one took place at night, now you’ll be fighting during the day as well.
In your way are the previously mentioned hordes of Zombies or Infected as they are referred to in the game. There are even more Infected encountered in Left 4 Dead 2 (L4D2) and as in the original, you must work together in order to make it through to the end. The virus has also super mutated some individuals into what is known as Boss Infected. All of whom return in L4D2:

Smoker: Has long tongue that it uses to grab a hold of you and drag you from across the screen. Once constricted your health is slowly choked or clawed out of you until one of your friends comes to rescue you

Hunter: Can leap huge distances. If a hunter pounces on you, the impact will cause any of your buddies standing near by to stumble while it claws away at you. Again you must be saved by a friend.

Boomer: Filled with Zombie attracting bile, the boomer will puke on you causing temporary blindness, as well as marking you as a specific target for the Infected that the bile has just attracted.

Witch: The witch looks like a regular infected except she can be heard weeping and moaning and has glowing yellow eyes. In L4D2 she now wanders around in the daylight. She has a lot of health, is supper strong and can kill you with only a few hits. Don’t shine a light on her, don’t shoot near her, and do not approach her. She’ll leave you alone. You’ll survive. Things will be good.

Tank: While most Boss Infected can be killed with only a few shots the Tank has uber health and packs quite the wallop. It can also throw chunks of pavement or rocks it pulls out of the ground. It will take your whole team working together to bring it down.

Three new Boss Infected also join in for L4D2:

Spitter: She spits patches of acid on the ground. Anyone standing in this acid will receive massive damage until the acid fades.

Jockey: He will jump on your head and try to steer you off cliffs, into spitter acid, or into other traps. Only another Survivor can knock/shoot the jockey off.

Charger: The Charger well…charges. He will smash through the Survivors, grabbing one and then begin to smash the poor player into the ground until another Survivor saves them.

The Survivors now have access to melee weapons. So rather than using a pistol, you can pick up a cricket bat, katana (ninja sword), crowbar, whatever, and start smacking zombies around. There is a certain amount of satisfaction that is gained from hearing the comical gong of a cast iron frying pan connecting the head of an Infected. The gore and spatter effects have also been updated. Did I Mention this game is rated Mature? It is and for good reason.
I could go on an on about how wonderful this game is. I could tell you about the uncommon infected with their riot gear, or clown shoes, and how that changes the game completely. I could tell you about the new Survivors and the over 4,000 lines of dialogue each one has. I could tell you about the other game modes available such as Realism where all the handy job aids are removed, or the new Scavenge mode where you have to race to keep a generator running while another team takes control of the boss zombies in order to stop you. I could go on for pages and pages. However I feel that your time may be better spent playing the game for yourself. The Demo is available for download on Xbox and from Steam on PC. If you don’t know about Steam drop me a line or Google it.

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
ThrillKillBill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:06 pm
Post subject:

Tam.... do you play it on PC or x360? I'm loving this game and i'd enjoy playing with anybody from the site.

Ya born alone
Ya die alone
And still we live on
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
Yesterday is a memory
Tomorrow is a vision
But today
it's a b*tch
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:12 pm
Post subject:

PC steam id under princed_j@hotmail.com. Please tell me you are PC too :)
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Games We Play All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: