The time now is Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:24 pm
View unanswered posts
tvs and monitors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Games We Play
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:37 pm
Post subject: tvs and monitors

I think I'm gonna upgrade to a 1080p this summer! Maybe fourth of july sale, would be cool to have one for independence day. I'm thinking LCD Samsung 40 inch. Everyone claims that LCD can't make a true black, but blacks look pretty black to me. I watched batman on my parent's and it looked pretty damn dark to me. Plasma's are nice but they are so big and heavy. Now they are coming out with LCD-LED backlits but they are expensive and i can't really tell that the picture is that much better than CCFL backlit. Then the last decision is 60 or 120hz. I've heard about motion blurring but then again I've not seen much HD content until recently so I don't know if that happens a lot or if it's just a marketing ploy. Anyone have thoughts on this?
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:06 pm
Post subject:

hmm if you are going to hook your computer up to the TV you will want one that can do more than 60, the higher resolution settings at 60 can make some really awful flickers. I like the plain ol LCD just fine. you can get a better picture with plazma but in my understanding (which is little) they don't have the life of the LCD. Also if the option comes up get a matte screen, glossy gives a awful glare, although at is more with monitors than TVs. The two seem to be getting closer and closer.

You also want to look at hook ups, HDMI cables will give you the best picture followed by DVI (if they still make that kind of hook up, I heard they don't or that it is more rare), followed by component cable. I would recommend against a built-in DVD player as DVD players can have a shorter live than most TVs.

"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:47 am
Post subject:

I use my current hdtvs (samsung 720ps) for everything. Computer monitor, tv for console games, whatever. No, DVI is pretty extinct as far as new models go. I have one of the early 720ps from 2004 that has one on it. DVI was the standard before HDMI. It's pretty much the same video quality, but it doesn't carry audio. I do have an hdmi cable. I really need a second one now that I think of it though. Hook ups aren't really an issue as almost all models come with at least one of each type and usually 3-4 HDMI ports. LCD does have a longer life but I think Plasmas are catching up. LCD has around 60,000+ hours. Which is 7 years if used 12 hours today and around 7 years if it's on 24 hours a day. Some of the new LED backlit LCDs are supposed to be 100,000 hours but those are expppensive. LCDs are a lot lighter (40% of the weight) than plasma and are less fragile. I'll prolly get LCD just for the sheeer reason that Plasma's dont come much smaller than 50 inches and those sets are around 90 pounds. My room is only 11x11 and I move around a lot so I don't really want a 100 pound tv lol. I'm not sure of glare but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I have wooden shutters so I can really darken that place. Naw I don't do built in dvds and such those things are usually cheap and crappy anyways. Thanks for the tip on refresh rate Tamikins. I'll keep that in mind and let you now what I get!
Dudde
The Monster at the end of this Post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 am
Post subject:

Definitely LCD, plasma has a tendency to warp when it's not straight up and down, so you can never move =0 well...with your tv laying down anyway

and think of how cool it is to press on LCD screens and they make that ripple effect
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:20 pm
Post subject:

eww I don't want to touch the panel dude, those things can be fragile. Anyways it's already bought. Samsung 1080p LCD 40 inch 120hz display
TamAlthor
The Zeppo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:12 pm
Post subject:

Nice man, Nice!
"The truth is that our finest moments are most likely to occur when we are feeling deeply..unhappy, or unfulfilled. For it is only in such moments..we are likely to step out of our ruts and start searching for different ways or truer answers
-M. S. Peck
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:22 am
Post subject:

Almost as nice as your pretty face tammy-kins
roguefreelancer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:58 pm
Post subject:

I see that you've already purchased the television, but I wanted to put my two cents in anyway.

I'm a television repairman so I like to think that I'm somewhat knowledgeable about such things. Samsung is a good brand. 60hz versus 120hz is currently a marketing ploy. Yes, there is a difference in action scenes. No, it's not worth the price jump. Plasma sets have great pictures, but weigh three times as much as LCD's and generate much more heat to boot. It would make an 11x11 room very warm very quickly. Also, plasma sets are susceptible to "burn in" which you probably know is what happens when an image remains on the screen for too long and leaves a ghost behind. Salesmen will tell you that this isn't an issue with the newer ones or that it's easy to correct if it happens. Then again salesmen never get inside the sets and only know what it takes to make a sale.

So that's my little rant. You picked a good set. One I wouldn't mind having in my own place.

Happy viewing!
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:26 pm
Post subject:

Yeah, 120hz doesn't even run unless you're on an HD resolution. (720,1080) however the 1080/120hz panels generally have higher production standards than some of the 60hz ones (better contrast ratios, faster response rates, etc) Thanks for the input. Yeah Plasma is too heavy to move easy, and the heat and burn in are issues as well.
Dudde

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:10 am
Post subject:

To be honest, I'm looking for a monitor with hookups for my DVD/game consoles, stuff like that, cause I'd be happy with a 23-27" monitor being the center of entertainment =D can't seem to find one...

EDIT:
look I found one
Dudde

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:09 pm
Post subject:

Thought I'd come back to this post to update that I bought a 26" insignia widescreen yesterday, T.V...it's so pretty when it's connected to my computer ='D
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:54 pm
Post subject:

That sounds really awesome Dudde. What are the specs on it? My monitor has a few things, one of them is "wide color enhancer 3" which maps the colors of an incoming signal onto the monitors native resolution. The other is something that basically polarizes the screen and greatly increases contrast. Anyways, looks great, think I'm in love. ^^ Hey dude, take a pic! I wanna see your tv.
Dudde

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:56 pm
Post subject:

It's kinda like this one, only without DVD player in it and cooler. I'll try to take a picture sometime, but it'll have to be a still with my digital camera cause my phone camera suxor with the light I have in my room.

=D
Rhodric
Lord of the Morning

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:17 am
Post subject:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fantasy Freaks Forum Forum Index -> The Games We Play All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: